APPLICATION TO THE PROGRAM AND SCHOLARSHIPS
For the fifth edition of the Program, the application period will be 15 December 2017 to 21 January 2018.
Applications for the program and the scholarship are made simultaneous and made in the same application form.
In this edition, a total of 12 students are admitted to the Program but only 6 scholarships are awarded
The candidates are ranked by applying the selection criteria.
The scholarships are awarded from the top of the ranking list downward but conditioned to the availability of scholarship
in the institutions to which the candidate applies through the choice and approval of thesis project(s).
The next 6 best candidates in the ranking are admitted to the Program without grant from DAEPHYS.
The application to the Program (with or without application to a scholarship) is done online.
- Register here.
- Activate your account using the instructions you will receive by email.
- Access the Application Platform by login with your username and password.
At the Application Platform:
- There are detailed instructions for the application process.
- The candidates should fill all relevant information in the online application form.
- The applicants must upload, being otherwise excluded, the following documents:
- A detailed CV, dated and signed, with the indication of the electronic mail address with the agreement to be used for notification;
- Copy of the identification document;
- Documents that demonstrate that the candidate meets the requirements for the award of the grant, including a copy of certificates of all academic degrees obtained, with the final grade;
- The transcript of records (i.e. a list of curricular units that the candidate has completed and the respective marks);
- Statement of the candidate present professional status, indicating the nature of the labor connection, functions and average weekly teaching time, if applicable, which can be replaced by a statement under oath, if he/she do not pursue any professional activity or service;
- 1 or 2 recommendation letters.
- For the academic degrees awarded by a foreign higher education institution is mandatory the presentation of the recognition of the academic degree registration and the final classification conversion to the Portuguese scale (a process regulated by Decree-Law No. 341/2007 of 12 October) or, alternatively, obtaining equivalence/recognition of academic degrees (a process regulated by Decree-Law No. 283/83 of 21 June)1.
- The candidates applying to a DAEPHYS scholarship have to rank their preferences in terms of Universities and PhD thesis project (up to a maximum of 3 thesis projects in each university). The PhD thesis projects have to be chosen among those offered by DAEPHYS and available at the
thesis proposals page
- The candidates must lock the list of projects before submitting the application by clicking Lock in the list of thesis projects chosen. This can be done at any time during the whole period of the Call. An e-mail will be sent to the respective supervisors when a thesis theme is locked. Applicants must then be confirmed by the supervisor. The application can not be submitted before the candidate is accepted at least in one of the projects that she/he has chosen. Only the projects at which the candidate is accepted by the respective supervisor count for the application. Hence, the candidates are strongly encouraged to contact the supervisors of the projects before locking their list of projects in the application form.
- The ranking of preferences of PhD thesis projects is optional to the candidates not applying to a DAEPHYS fellowship. They can choose the thesis project later during the first semester of the first year.
with a company
|1st stage of evaluation process|
|1st cycle grade||20%||20%|
|2nd cycle grade||30%||30%|
|Master Thesis grade||15%||15%|
|Project involving more than 1 institution||5%||-|
|Project involving a company||-||10%|
|2nd stage of evaluation process2|
1) The candidate should address the Directorate General of Higher Education, or an institution of Portuguese public higher education, to obtain the recognition of the academic degree and the conversion of foreign final grade to the Portuguese classification scale. It is suggested the consultation of the Directorate General of Higher Education site:
2) From the second stage, a multiplicative factor with a value between 0.75 and 1.5, comes out, which is applied to the grade obtained in the previous evaluation stage to get the final ranking.